Call tracking is the process of determining how customers found your business by assigning a phone tracking number to your marketing channels. These marketing channels include newsletters, social media ads, and email marketing. Tracking calls is an essential tool for marketing analytics as it determines which channel and, more specifically, which keyword or marketing message drove the customer to make a call.
Small businesses can benefit significantly from call tracking because the call can help them personalize the customer experience. By getting clear visibility of your call, you can know what’s working and what’s not, allowing you to focus on channels that work and determine the next step to optimize.
Call tracking has been made easy by the availability of call tracking software, which is where you can log a call in salesforce to import conversations and track activities. This ensures that you get accurate data and updated records.
However, to get the best of call tracking, there are things you need to do and some to avoid. This article discusses some of them below.
Do’s of call trackingWhen call tracking, you need to do the following to make sure the process is successful:
- Monitor performance In digital marketing, knowledge of your performance is crucial. With proper knowledge, you can attribute each conversion to a particular channel and marketing message. Consequently, you can focus on those strategies that maximize the return on advertising costs.
- Place call-to-action strategically When using call tracking, you should ensure that you place the call-to-action button strategically on landing pages. The button will tell the prospect to get into a phone conversation with a sales agent. It should be in a place where prospects can easily find it and make a call. It can also include a number that they can dial to reach you.
- Record your calls Another important thing to do when tracking calls is to record them. This will enable you to get the best out of the monitoring system. Recording the calls will help examine the quality of the leads that you’re getting. It also helps you get essential data like the keywords that trigger the calls. You can then use them to expand your customer base.
Monitoring your performance will allow you to know which channel has solid leads. When using call tracking, you should attribute every sale call back to a campaign that inspired customers to buy. You should use advanced technology in call tracking to collect all the marketing data and monitor the marketing performance.
The call-to-action will increase the chances of the prospect going through with the calling action. By integrating call tracking software with the landing page, you can track and analyze the phone calls. Not only does this help get data from phone calls to track performance, but you also get more leads.
Call recordings can also provide insights into the status of your customer service. The information collected, such as customer feedback, can then be a great source of training for your call agents. This will help you provide a seamless experience to your customers.
Don’ts for call tracking
Here are some practices that should be avoided when call tracking:
- Don’t use different numbers It’s easy to assume that it’s right to have unique numbers for every place your business is listed on the internet. This is because it’s assumed that unique numbers will provide more accurate data for tracking leads from different sources. However, if your business numbers are inconsistent, search engines will doubt the legitimacy of your business. Customers can also lose trust in your business, which will hurt your ranking.
- Don’t count calls as conversions Calls made to your business aren’t conversions, so they shouldn’t be used as a measure of success. Counting calls as conversions will give you a false and dangerous sense of success. This can lead you to waste more resources since you’ll focus on calls rather than conversions, which will lead to a negative return on investment.
Avoid using different numbers, and instead, use dynamic number insertion to assign each caller a unique trackable number while still using the same number in all your listings.
You should set some specific conditions that should be met before counting a call as a conversion. These conditions include the duration of the call or specific actions taken during the call. That way, you’ll know how many quality calls you’ve had.